Friday, April 9, 2010

Fringe Fest Pop Ups?

Three new festivals that use the "fringe" in their title have popped up on my radar recently. I haven't had time to explore them further (I have an interview set up with one of them) but I anticipate, like a lot of other "sort of" fringe festivals, they're just using the name "fringe" because it's trendy. 

Remember, unless it's a performing arts festival that adheres to the true fringe philosophy of 100% unjuried, 100% uncensored, 100% accessible for artists and audiences alike, with 100% of ticket sales given directly back to the artists, it's just a fringe in disguise.

 

It just so happens that 2 these festivals are in my home state of Virginia. 

1) Shenandoah Fringe Festival in the Staunton/Harrisonburg, VA area. March 26-28. Check them out at shenandoahfringefestival.weebly.com

2) Gettysburg Fringe Festival in the Gettysburg, VA area. June 18-27. Check them out at gettysburgfestival.org

3) The Houston Fringe Festival in Houston, TX.  May 19-23. Check them out at houstonfringefestival.org

For my most recent fringe article entitled "Fringe 101," check out Richmond Grid.


No comments: